Sisterlines Space in Time

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you always got." Mark Twain.

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Loooooong weekend

I was looking forward to this past weekend to spend some time in the flower beds and hang with Jade and Joel. With Jade working in Woodstock pretty much every weekend and then the whole summer, and then going off to college in Windsor in the fall, I want to spend as much time with her as I can. So Friday morning my alarm went off at 4 AM as per usual for me to go to work.....and I had a wicked migraine. It was affecting my vision so I had to call in sick to work. I hate calling in sick. Anyhow..what can ya do? So I was in bed until about 11:30 AM. My headache was still there but not as "mean" as it was first thing in the morning. The pain was still there but the vision issues were gone. At about 12:30 pm the phone rang and it was Jade. She was crying and screaming into the phone and when I finally got her to calm down enough that I could understand what she was saying, she told me she had lost control of the van on a gravel road and she went in the ditch and the van flipped and she was hanging upside in the van and could not get out of it. INSTANT PANIC. Oh my God, it was awful. I told her I was coming and hung up the phone. I ran out to the car and called Joe to tell him what happened and where she was. A million things were running through my mind as I was driving down the road. I was praying there was no water in the ditch and that she was going to be okay. The fact that she was able to call me and then call 911 was a good sign as far as I was concerned. When I got there, Joe had already got there. What a shock to see a large Montana van upside down on it's roof in an 8 foot ditch knowing that your child is inside of it. Luckily, Jade never lost consciousness, so she was able to work with Joe to get her out of the van. She didn't want to release the seat belt when she was there by herself because all of the glass from the windshield was laying there and she would have fallen right on it and probably cut her hands. Joe assessed the situation when he got there and was able to get the seat belt released and to get her out without any problems. By the time we got her out the OPP was there and then the fire trucks and the ambulance got there shortly after. They strapped her to the backboard and checked her out. I went in my car to the hospital to be with her and Joe stayed to have CAA come and tow the van. We got it towed back to our house. We were not sure of the amount of damage when it was on its roof, but once it was flipped over we saw there was no chance of repairing it, so we got it towed back to our place.
I am very thankful that she is okay. She had a sore neck, but the x-rays came out clear and now she is very sore where the seat belt was. It is going to take her some time to get over the whole incident. It was very traumatic for her and I think her mental scars are going to take longer to heal than the physical ones.
After talking to other people who live in the area there have been others who have had problems on Coldstream Road as well. The amount of gravel they put on that road is ridiculous and the fact they they don't level it out is just plain wrong. When one person stopped by the accident they made the comment of "I'm not sure why that 2 foot pile of gravel is there". Just to give you an idea.......That's all I'm gonna say on that subject cause it gets my blood boiling.
The big thing is, she is fine, and she will heal. Things could have been sooooo much worse.
Our little joke at the hospital was "at least we didn't have to pay for a waxing". When they strap you on the back board, they put a head strap across your forehead....well that head strap is sticky - very very sticky - so when the doctor removed it.....some eyebrow came with it!!!! and not in a really even way either!! So that was our little laugh while we were stressing in the hospital. Laughter really is the best medicine.
Chow for now,
Hug your kids, life can change in an instant







Jacqui

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home