Sisterlines Space in Time

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you always got." Mark Twain.

Saturday, August 29, 2020

Salsa Day!

 I have a very large number of tomatoe plants in my garden this year. I planted 13. 12 red tomatoe plants and 1 lemon boy, which bears yellow fruit and is to be a little less acidic than the red tomatoes. Shortly after I planted them something ate 6 of them. So I replaced those 6 with a fresh bunch of plants. As things got to growing a number of plants (like maybe 40) came up from seeds from last year! So I have a bunch of plants growing. I didn't know how the ones that came up from last year would do, but they are bearing fruit as well. Just small tomatoes, but that's okay.

I have never made salsa before, but Jade likes it and I like it every now and then so I thought what the heck I'll make some salsa. I don't like spicy stuff though - so no jalapeno's for me.

I got a salsa recipe from my friend John at work and got to work making salsa. I used all these tomatoes except for 3 in the recipe.


There all all the tomatoes chopped up in the stock pot.


Then I added in some sweet banana peppers


Them some bell peppers. I used green, red, yellow and orange. Very colourful!!


Here they are all chopped up!


Then a bunch of onions. These were all grown in my garden too!!! I planted red, yellow and white onions this year. I was hoping for better results, but maybe next year.


There it is all ready to cook. You bring it all to a boil and then let it simmer 3-4 hours. 


After 4 hours of simmering, I got almost 10 full jars of salsa. 


Joe was out mopping the floor for me (I'm a messy cook!!!!) and he was telling me when they were popping!!! Popping is the best sound when you are canning. That means your food is sealed and can be stored for a longer period of time. Here's hoping it tastes as good as it smelled in my house all day today!!

Chow for now, 
Jacqui



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home