Sisterlines Space in Time

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you always got." Mark Twain.

Thursday, January 2, 2020

So long 2019

Well the last couple of weeks of 2019 were a bit rough. On the 23rd of December we lost Uncle Bill.
There were many years when we were not in touch with Uncle Bill and Aunt Arlene, just family stuff and distance, but when we did meet up with them again they welcomed us with open arms and picked up where we left off. I remember the first time Joe and I went to see them. We had borrowed Poppa's car to go up to see Dad and Theresa and of course we had to go and see Uncle Bill and Aunt Arlene too. I remember walking around and seeing all of the cool birds Uncle Bill had. I remember some quails, and those chickens that look like they are wearing little bedroom slippers, and the peacock. We got a couple of peacock feathers that year I think. I remember taking the kids there on another visit and they too were thrilled to walk around and see all the beautiful gardens and the birds. The lupins were growing along both sides of the laneway that year as well. I remember Joe and Uncle Bill talking about is "in very good shape" truck that was in the shed. We always felt welcome there and have many good memories of our times together. 

Then on the 29th of December we lost Uncle Mel. This one hurt a lot. He was always so big, and strong and handsome. He always reminded us of Elvis with his big side burns and his love of music. After his strokes, he would still give me that great smile every time he saw me. I loved how he would light up whenever he would see Joe. He and Joe had a special bond. Aunt Brenda didn't have to worry so much about him when Joe was around because she knew he would look after him. Joe would go an visit him when he was in Watford and would stop in at the Foodland and get him a pudding. A few times the dietary girls would bring out a pudding for Joe to have as well....complete with the "adult clothing protector". The girls at the nursing home used to get a kick out of the two of them eating their pudding together. 
I was going through pictures to send to Tim to pass on to Denning's for the funeral video, and seeing some of them reminded me of the many good times we had with him. He always made me smile. 

Today was a tough day. Today we said our final good byes to him. Bill Denning spoke at the funeral and the words he said were so fitting and true. From talking to Aunt Brenda, Carl, Tim, and Mum he managed to capture Uncle Mel to a tee. He loved to truck and he loved his family. I was so very blessed to have him as an Uncle. 

Hug your loved ones close, time is so very short.

Chow for now,
Jacqui

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home