Sisterlines Space in Time

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you always got." Mark Twain.

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Digging out....


Wow - what a crazy couple of weeks it has been. We have been snowed in since Sunday night. My blow dryer kicked the bucket on Sunday morning, without any warning at all, so on Sunday afternoon I decided to go and take a short trip to Strathroy to pick one up so I could dry my hair Monday morning before work. So in the car Jade and Joel and I piled and headed out to Strathroy.....visibility was not all that great, but it was still "doable". We made it to Wal-mart and then we picked up the blow dryer. The kids wanted to check out some things in Wal-mart so we just kind of walked around and looked at things. When we went through the check out....well.....things had changed outside a tad since we entered the store. We piled back in the car and headed home. I really did not think that we would make it home. The snow was drifting so bad cause the winds were very strong. Probably in the 70-90 mph zone. The snow was freezing as it hit the windshield so the wipers were all frozen up and I had to keep reaching out my window to bang them on the windshield to knock off the ice so I could see. We finally found Sylvan road and I was saying a little silent prayer that it had been plowed....no such luck. We trudged on through and we finally made it home...in spite of the kids chanting..."we're gonna die" as we were driving through the snow! The snow kept on coming and the winds kept on blowing for 2 more days. We now have some 10 foot drifts in our lane way. It took Joe and I 3.5 hours to shovel out our lane way so that we could move the vehicles in the hopes to get to work on Wednesday morning. I made it in to work on Wednesday, although the kids had another snow day. The 402 was shut down from London all the way to Sarnia. People were stranded and the military had to be called in to air lift some people out of their vehicles. It was crazy! I do hope many of those people learned some valuable lessons though. ONE: if there is a barrier by the on ramp - DON'T GET OUT AND MOVE IT OR DRIVE ON THROUGH - turn around and go home (dumb ass) TWO: We live in Canada it snows in the winter - always have boots, hats, mitts, a blanket, some water and some food in the car with you just in case. Here is a link for some of what we were going through the last few days. Kudos to all those who helped the stranded motorists. SNOWMAGGEDON
I grabbed these pictures from the London Free Press website, but if you click on their link you can see some more. WOWZERS.
Chow for now,
Stay warm and safe, Jacqui

2 Comments:

Blogger Vicki G said...

Oh my gosh!!!! I hope that that snow load lightens up for you soon!

Love you my snowgirl!

xo

Vicki

December 16, 2010 at 7:55 AM  
Blogger Diana Gibbs said...

So Jax, did you have all those things in your car before you headed out?
Oh and what about that bag of kitty litter?
Love ya,
Di - in nice warm Arizona

Oops gotta go it's my turn to flip the burgers on the grill and the kids need towels to dry off from the pool...

December 16, 2010 at 11:35 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home